Landscaping ideas

Discussion about Skyrim related topics

Landscaping ideas

Postby Worsas » Fri May 31, 2013 12:06 am

Some ideas from the earlier days of the project I remembered on irc today, mostly regarding exterior modding but also touching the area of interior modding:

First off, we've got to place many badass mountains in the inner part of the province. No need to mention that anymore, I guess.

-Remote valleys completely enclosed by mountains. But not like the forgotten valley in TES V. Much more a barren pasturage with a constant ascent towards the surrounding mountains.
-Narrow mountain paths with troll-infested cave tunels that lead up otherwise unclimbable areas.
-One like 13,000 units deep cliff abysm with only a narrow, creaking bridge leading over. Making this look even deeper by a mountain scenery around
-A subterranean lake below a mountain with melting ice, drip sounds etc. (Scamp was already planning to make something like this)
-Cave tunels that are open towards the top, so you are basically walking in a cleft.

Re: Landscaping ideas

Postby french ninja » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:51 pm

I doubt it would work for Markarth, but how about something like the White Cliffs of Dover?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 9_2004.jpg
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby Scamp » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Would that work in any region other than the Reach?
"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Postby french ninja » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Along a section of the northern coast?
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby Worsas » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 pm

Cliff Coasts? Sure. They are even mentioned in places, I believe to remember. Just think of an inhospitable rocky coast with high cliffs that slope into the brawly sea.

Postby Scamp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Those first two pictures are THE SHIT. Wow.

Postby roerich » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:12 pm

More DeviantArt gold:

http://tomedwardsconcepts.deviantart.co ... -375825688
I could see this landscape in the Rift somewhere.

http://rav89.deviantart.com/art/Bluee-h ... -374425357
Awww yissss.

http://andreasrocha.deviantart.com/art/ ... -378134048
High altitude Dakhma/barrow stuff.

http://tomedwardsconcepts.deviantart.co ... -375825208
I like the height differences in this.

http://tomedwardsconcepts.deviantart.co ... -328109633
More steep cliff stronghold stuff.
Thane of Interiors

Postby Scamp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Postby roerich » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:59 am

Mountainside castle from "The Forbidden Kingdom":

Thane of Interiors

Postby Luxray » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 am

This is great, I love the architecture.
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby roerich » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:28 am

Thane of Interiors

Postby Luxray » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:36 am

Those pictures are great. If there is space left to fit it in, we totally need a huge and badass Direnni-ruin that looks exactly like that second picture. Wow.

I can't wait until we are building proper mountaintop barrows either.
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby Scamp » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:24 pm

It's not my intention to disappoint, Luxray, but it's rather difficult to pull off something like this with the Direnni set as its architectural style allows only for rectangular layouts. Things like curved walls, spiky towers and overgrown features would go beyond what the set can do and what it's actually supposed to do. It's more like a mix between realistic, middle-age strongholds and the modern fantasy visuals we are used to, rather than being fully inspired by the latter.

Postby Tes96 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:36 pm

1. Are there plans to make any of the exterior castles covered in moss like this mod from TESIV?

2. Will we make any caves that are similar to the ones in TESV:

Open entrance; no door
Open entrance
Open light/darkness entrance, depending on time of day; no door needed
Water falling from ceiling
Or caves that are very deep inside, as in a very high ceiling. This would require completely new interior sets to be made but would be worth it I think, since almost all caves in Morrowind seem to be slightly above player's height.

Scamp wrote:It's not my intention to disappoint, Luxray, but it's rather difficult to pull off something like this with the Direnni set as its architectural style allows only for rectangular layouts. Things like curved walls, spiky towers and overgrown features would go beyond what the set can do and what it's actually supposed to do. It's more like a mix between realistic, middle-age strongholds and the modern fantasy visuals we are used to, rather than being fully inspired by the latter.

What about when OpenMW is released? Will we ever take advantage of it? It would allow us to go way beyond what the vanilla construction set can currently do.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby Luxray » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:33 pm

1. Sure, why not, it's a neat idea. Not actually that many castles, forts, or ruins in the exterior yet though.

2. There are several high-ceilinged caves in the Interior Cut file already. We don't need more tileset, it's pretty easy to piece together a multi-level chamber with rocks and the like. I'm doing just such a thing in a cave I'm making at the moment. As regards the doors, again, there are a variety of cave entrances in the Interior Cut file. Not sure about the blacksquare issue. Blacksquare entrances look just fine to me and are very easy to deal with.

3. Yes, OpenMW will let us do cool stuff, but not for years yet.

Postby Tes96 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:44 am

Luxray wrote:3. Yes, OpenMW will let us do cool stuff, but not for years yet.

How will that work when the time comes, though? Will SHOTN, in years to come, be dependent on OpenMW? I would have no problem with that at all. The OpenMW team is working on getting their system more user friendly so that it will be as easy as launching vanilla Morrowind. But I know there would be people who would complain that they don't want to use OpenMW to play their game. But I hate to think that we would have to be held back as far as creative technical expansiveness just to satisfy the lowest common denominator. Kind of like how the TES series could be much more than what it has been if Bethesda didn't have to cater to the console generation. If TES were strictly a PC series, like The Witcher, there would be much more possibilities because computer technology is more advanced than consoles. Likewise, if we had SHOTN running off of the OpenMW engine instead of the Gambryo engine, just think of the things we could do with all that added freedom in the OpenMW Construction Set! Physics, new and better animations for large creatures.... maybe even a Direnni style architecture set with curved walls, spiky towers and overgrown features!
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Postby Scamp » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

The Witcher is not a strict PC series.

I dare say it depends largely on what Lestat wants to do as he makes most of the models, or at least he'd be the one having to work on most previously made meshes to make use of new technology. But we'd have to go into one direction.

Postby Yeti » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Tes96 wrote:Likewise, if we had SHOTN running off of the OpenMW engine instead of the Gambryo engine, just think of the things we could do with all that added freedom in the OpenMW Construction Set! Physics, new and better animations for large creatures.... maybe even a Direnni style architecture set with curved walls, spiky towers and overgrown features!

The reason why our Direnni ruins don't have curved walls or spiky towers has nothing to do with the limitations of the Gambryo engine. It was a purely stylistic decision that was made when designing their architecture.

Scamp wrote:Things like curved walls, spiky towers and overgrown features would go beyond what the set can do and what it's actually supposed to do. It's more like a mix between realistic, middle-age strongholds and the modern fantasy visuals we are used to, rather than being fully inspired by the latter.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Postby Luxray » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:33 am

Huge snowy fortress

Pretty cool. Almost Sancre Tor-ish, for Cyrodiil.

Next

Return to Skyrim Discussion