[Book] Origins of the Raki by Hvaldyth (ADDED TO DATA)

[Book] Origins of the Raki by Hvaldyth (ADDED TO DATA)

Postby french ninja » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:39 am

Finally finished this. Feel free to add comments on how I could improve it.

Origins of the Raki by Hvaldyth

It is a common occurrence for travelers coming to our city of Haafinheim to come into contact with strange beasts of which no other analogue exists in any other province of the Empire. Slightly smaller than the average Haafingar grey wolf, the raki, as we have come to call him, is a creature of deception. During the day, it can commonly be found sleeping under the canopy of the vast pine forests of the western Holds. With its soft white fur, large eyes and gentle cooing noises, one would think it would be the perfect pet for one’s kyne wife. However, once darkness creeps onto our land, the raki unleashes a rage as if possessed by Mauloch the Mountain Fart himself. Highly agile, it can easily leap over the tallest of high elves and makes quick work of it’s prey by attacking its prey from behind. Constant alertness and quick reflexes are absolutely vital should you find yourself confronted by these creatures, and this could not be stated enough.

Back in the year 110 of the Third Era, Potema, the Wolf Queen of Solitude, was visited by King Orgnum of Pyandonea to plot against her brother, Antiochus. As part of his entourage was a collection of what we now call raki as a diplomatic gift alongside two maomer handlers who . After showing the beasts’ usefulness in a hunt, where young Uriel III was saved from the wrath of a wounded but enraged boar by a team of raki, Potema became enamored by the creatures, and the beasts from then on followed her wherever she went throughout Castle Solitude.

As any citizen of the Septim Empire will tell you, Potema’s reign of Solitude was notorious and rank with the intimidation and repression of her subjects, and her ruthlessness only greatened with the onset of the War of the Red Diamond. There were rumors concerning the filleting of her prisoners in order to be fed to her pet raki. Such stories filled the camp of King Magnus of Lilmoth, instilling fear into the hearts of the famed argonian spearmen of Black Marsh's Jewel.

However, the Wolf Queen’s early tactical victories were short-lived and by the year 137, the War of the Red Diamond was over and the victorious armies of Lilmoth and Cyrod were left with the task of restoring Haafingar to it’s former glory. But what had become of the queen’s infamous pets? According to popular legends spread by Haafingar’s skalds, during the chaos that followed the fall of Castle Solitude, the raki turned on their maomer handlers and escaped the castle via a narrow window in Potema’s quarters, lept into the moat and swam to shore. Over the next couple of decades, the raki mated and to this very day, they present an ever present danger to those who trek to our fair city.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Muspila

Re: [Book] Origins of the Raki by Hvaldyth

Postby Muspila » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 am

It's precious.

Just a little pitnicking here: The sentence at the end of the third paragraph about the filleting-rumors feels a bit repetitive in how it is styled. Some interruption would be cool, maybe by making the sentence more simple-fashioned by starting with "There were rumors...".

Thankyou for devoting a whole writing to something I have animated, anyway. It's a real honor. :D

Postby cawdeen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:55 am

Yeah thats pretty awesome. French ninja its a good thing your a part of this project.

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Here is a video of the Raki:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlhsgNyCD8c

I can't make it with sounds since I have a new graphic card...a weird issue but I have no clue how to fix it.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:01 am

The lacking sound is not a big issue. The video itself gives a good idea what such an encounter is about. And I love that river vista at the end of the video.

For the promotional post later on:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/Worsas/predi.jpg

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Should I make a post of French Ninjas book and the video at the officials?
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:00 pm

I'd be fine with that. No idea, but I guess French Ninja is ok with us showing off his text in its current state. Otherwise lets wait for his ok.

Postby french ninja » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Yep, it's pretty much done. Go ahead and post. ;)
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby Tes96 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:04 am

Lestat DeLioncourt wrote:Here is a video of the Raki:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlhsgNyCD8c

I can't make it with sounds since I have a new graphic card...a weird issue but I have no clue how to fix it.

Whoa, those things are nasty! It creeps me out how they jump like that. Great job to whoever made the creature. I'd like to hear how it sounds.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:28 am

We should start to turn texts like these into books and add them to Skyrim-Data. I have made some bookmeshes for us some while ago, the gay* vampire should still have them.

The model is by TheDayWalker, animation by me.

*refers to the film-figure, not the real guy

Postby Tes96 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Muspila wrote:We should start to turn texts like these into books and add them to Skyrim-Data. I have made some bookmeshes for us some while ago, the gay* vampire should still have them.

The model is by TheDayWalker, animation by me.

*refers to the film-figure, not the real guy

Stuporstar from Bethsoft Forums does very fine book textures for the covers and pages. But she's very busy all the time. You said you made meshes for the book, Muspila, but aren't all the books basically the same rectangular shape? Are you a good artist too in making covers and pages with artwork?
Also, are you good at animating NPCs like the kind of animations that Arcimaestro Antares does?
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:38 pm

I have only made one npc-animation so far, a lying dead-animation for Necrom. They are not hard to make though, if that's what you want to know.

Postby Tes96 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:02 am

Muspila wrote:I have only made one npc-animation so far, a lying dead-animation for Necrom. They are not hard to make though, if that's what you want to know.

I was skimming through Antares' animation tutorial for Blender and it seemed hard to me. But I didn't go through it all the way and didn't practice at it. I'd love to make animations of NPCs sawing, hammering, washing clothes in a barrel... the objects would be added in afterwards of course. I need to get back into learning that stuff because there are tons of animations I want to make for Pelagiad Expanded, as well as for this project.

french ninja wrote:Finally finished this. Feel free to add comments on how I could improve it.

Origins of the Raki by Hvaldyth

It is a common occurrence for travelers coming to our city of Haafinheim to come into contact with strange beasts of which no other analogue exists in any other province of the Empire. Slightly smaller than the average Haafingar grey wolf, the raki, as we have come to call him, is a creature of deception. During the day, it can commonly be found sleeping under the canopy of the vast pine forests of the western Holds. With its soft white fur, large eyes and gentle cooing noises, one would think it would be the perfect pet for one’s kyne wife. However, once darkness creeps onto our land, the raki unleashes a rage as if possessed by Mauloch the Mountain Fart himself. Highly agile, it can easily leap over the tallest of high elves and makes quick work of it’s[remove apostrophe since "its" is singular third-person possessive pronoun in this sentence and not a contraction] prey by attacking its prey[delete since it is already used in the sentence] from behind. Constant alertness and quick reflexes are absolutely vital should you find yourself confronted by these creatures, and this could not be stated enough.

Back in the year 110 of the Third Era, Potema, the Wolf Queen of Solitude, was visited by King Orgnum of Pyandonea to plot against her brother, Antiochus. As part of his entourage was a collection of what we now call raki as a diplomatic gift alongside two maomer handlers who . [Either you didn't finish that sentence or it was supposed to be a comma leading into the next sentence. If that latter is true, insert period to avoid run-on sentence] After showing the beasts’ usefulness in a hunt, where young Uriel III was saved from the wrath of a wounded but enraged boar by a team of raki, Potema became enamored by the creatures, and the beasts from then on followed her wherever she went throughout Castle Solitude.

As any citizen of the Septim Empire will tell you, Potema’s reign of Solitude was notorious and rank["rank" as in military ranks or "to reek" as with a foul odor"?] with the intimidation and repression of her subjects. [Use period here to avoid run-on sentence] Her ruthlessness only greatened with the onset of the War of the Red Diamond. There were rumors concerning the filleting of her prisoners in order to [feed] her pet raki. Such stories filled the camp of King Magnus of Lilmoth, instilling fear into the hearts of the famed argonian spearmen of Black Marsh's Jewel.

However, the Wolf Queen’s early tactical victories were short-lived and by the year 137, the War of the Red Diamond was over and the victorious armies of Lilmoth and Cyrod were left with the task of restoring Haafingar to it’s[its] former glory. But what had become of the queen’s infamous pets? According to popular legends spread by Haafingar’s skalds, during the chaos that followed the fall of Castle Solitude, the raki turned on their maomer handlers. [Insert period here to avoid run-on sentence] They escaped the castle via a narrow window in Potema’s quarters [and] lept into the moat and swam to shore. Over the next couple of decades, the raki mated and to this very day, they present an ever present danger to those who trek to our fair city.[color=#FFFF00][Consider rewriting the last sentence since it sounds like raki mated for 20 years only. Maybe something like "From then on, raki continued to mate and multiply, spawning a perennial danger to those whom trekked our fair city."

Great story, French Ninja. Raki remind me of lion tamers who keep lions as pets but eventually turn on their masters. I'm assuming raki is both singular and plural, like sheep or deer.
Your first paragraph is in present tense but the remainder of the story is in past tense, with the exception of a couple sentences toward the end. Try to keep the whole text in one tense. I would reword the first sentece to match the rest of the story so that "is" would become "was" and "come" would become "came", etc... Other than that and a few run-on sentences, it's a good read.
The 2nd sentence of the 2nd paragraph says "what we now call raki..." What were they called before then? If the name was the same throughout history, consider removing that bit of information from the text.

On maomer, this is all the information I could find, and I'm not even sure that it is official text from Bethesda:
"Also known as Sea Elves or Tropical Elves. They reside on the island of Pyandonea south of the continent of Tamriel. They have pale, almost chameleon like skin and yellow eyes. They originally lived in the Altmer home of the Summerset Isles, but they were exiled by the Altmer. Their leader is an immortal wizard named Orgnum Thras. The Maormer practice a snake-like magic which they use to tame sea-serpents."

I bet Queen Potema felt fortunate that she wasn't in her room when her raki ripped the maomer watchers to shreds and escaped through the window. Your story is actually quite intriguing and inspiring. I want to read more about the raki. I think I may write a story on them by a different in-game author, possibly of a different race so as to get a different perspective. This is a creature that you personally made up, right?

Muspila

Postby Muspila » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 am

The Raki is made up by us, yes. Don't you think though that one book on something as relatively trivial as a creature is enough? I mean, if you write something good it will probably get used anyway, I only would like to point towards something more needed: Nord Skald-lyrics, Tales of Heroes and Gods.

For example one could look into Ysgramor and the viles of Herma Mora, a double-layered story that from a naive point of view tells about a daedra prince troubling a grand leader of the ancient Nords (Giants?) but contains something like a hidden story about crimes and blasphemies concealed from posterity.

Historical books would be useful aswell, for example one telling about the history of the rivalry between Haafingar and Winterhold through the centuries. Although it is probably helpful to know if TES V offers concurrent references on past events in this area.

I'm just listing a few possibilities though, so don't feel restricted in your choices.

Edit: I'm not arguing against books about such things as creatures or plants. They are good to have and I like this historical text by French Ninja. But natural science in a fictive universe is ultimately just something to stray a bit atmosphere, the focus is always on the storyline imo.

Postby Wollibeebee » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:12 am

On maomer, this is all the information I could find, and I'm not even sure that it is official text from Bethesda:
"Also known as Sea Elves or Tropical Elves. They reside on the island of Pyandonea south of the continent of Tamriel. They have pale, almost chameleon like skin and yellow eyes. They originally lived in the Altmer home of the Summerset Isles, but they were exiled by the Altmer. Their leader is an immortal wizard named Orgnum Thras. The Maormer practice a snake-like magic which they use to tame sea-serpents."

ehhh, thanks for that information, i'm sure that'll help ninja.. :P

also, you should try writing books about other things TES, but no erotica novels. -_-

and i'd chagne the second "prey" to something like "it's victim"

but otherwise, that was a great, i hope we can have alot of new books in skyrim :D

Return to Literature