Reachmen Burial Grounds

This Forum is for general Skyrim/ Tamriel lore...you will find Hold related Lore in the Mod Development section

Scamp's Test Topic (nvm this)

Postby Worsas » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 am

I also agree that there is no special need for a new dwemer set, for the few ruins we will eventually make we could use some of the available dwemer resources if we need it...instead we could probably think about some reachmen burial grounds, maybe similar to the ancestral tombs, just a bit more mystic.

What kind of burial are they using? I believe I read somewhere that the bjoulsae tribes would burn their corpses. The Reachmen are somewhat related or neighbours of them at least.

I wouldn't necessarily make a new tomb set, but we could extend our range or reachmen objects to contain objects to be found around reachmen burial places. The latter could be within caves.

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Re: Density of tombs, ruins, etc.

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Worsas wrote:I believe I read somewhere that the bjoulsae tribes would burn their corpses. The Reachmen are somewhat related or neighbours of them at least.

I wouldn't necessarily make a new tomb set, but we could extend our range or reachmen objects to contain objects to be found around reachmen burial places. The latter could be within caves.

It sounds reasonable to burn the corpses. Maybe something like an ancient holy ground were ancient reachmen burned their honorable warriors and wizards. A few additional burial items would be enough I guess. Also using some caves for Reachmen burial grounds is a nice idea, since there aren't using a lot of stone architecture anyway and it would be very close to their basic lifestyle.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Re: Density of tombs, ruins, etc.

Postby Wollibeebee » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:25 am

It's not just the Bjoulsae tribes, the burning of corpses in High Rock is a custom everywhere, but prominently in The northern area near Northpoint, which I assume is because the southern areas are quite imperialized. (Imperialised?)

Ah, found the book:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Corpse_Preparation

Reachmen Burial Grounds

Postby Scamp » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:15 pm

New thread for seperate, rather detailed discussion.

(Uh - this longer post of mine was supposed to be the first post in this thread. After shifting posts a million times over I have given up. The three posts taken from another thread just really want to be at the beginning of the thread.)

Inspirational posts:

Muspila wrote:I'm in favour of using this as a sanctuary devoted to Kyne (who is symbolized by a Hawk btw.) possibly used for open air burial.

In the latter case we could have the Nords burn their dead up here and keep the fire, we'd only have to add some ritualistic structures, like altars and sacred menhirs around the place. The burial maintainer who lives up there could tell of stories in old days when the corpses were not burnt but left as carcasses to the birds of Sky, which would explain why this mountain is still known as the Snowhawk Peak.

roerich wrote:I (obviously) like the Kyne sky burial thing, but I had been thinking of reserving it for some more remote locations (and higher mountains, although I don't know just how high this peak is). Some special Dahkma structure in the Sky_Ex_Barrow style would be really cool too.

Worsas wrote:We should add ash urns to the tombs in this area then to refer to this local burial practice.

Source: http://shotn.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=519&sid=d03bbe9964ac3921040af6f8cd5a8abf

Dahkma structure by roerich:

"Scamp is a genius" - Dirnae

Re: Reachmen Burial Grounds

Postby roerich » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:24 pm

roerich wrote:I think before we actually start implementing these funeral pyre practices, we should establish the lore behind it: It's a Kyne thing because of wind and such. But what about all the Nord barrows? Is the cremation only for some individuals? Is the ash collected, or is it taken by Kyne's winds? Is it to get easier to Sovngarde?
Thane of Interiors

Postby Yeti » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Perhaps Nord cremation only burns away the flesh, leaving the bones behind to be placed in the barrows.

Or perhaps only rich/prestigious Nords are buried in barrows, while common-folk are cremated.
Thane of NPCs for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever" Napoleon Bonaparte

Location: The riverside of Styx...waiting for Charon, the ferryman

Postby Lestat DeLioncourt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Yeti wrote:
Or perhaps only rich/prestigious Nords are buried in barrows, while common-folk are cremated.

Makes sense, since if every common nords would be buried in a barrow, barrows would still be needed to be build in present times because ancient tombs can't contain all dead nords of Skyrim
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
cout << "This is C++, you won't even think of Java again once you discovered what this language is able to do" << endl;
return 0;
}

Postby french ninja » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:51 am

How about this?

With northern High Rock AND Morrowind being near exclusively cremators and that both of these used to be part of the First Empire, it could be that cremation was learned from the nords (though they wouldn't want to admit this).
There's also tons of urns in TES V barrows (but they don't all have bone meal in them).
In TES V, there's also imperial-style graves like in previous games, however there is a Nordic flair by the addition of carins, rock coverings, and rocks with swirly runes on them:
http://mods.confrerie-des-traducteurs.f ... 9bc3c9.jpg

So in conclusion:
Traditionalist commoners - cremation and placement in urns. These are buried underground and marked by carins
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... sgrave.JPG
Followers of Kyne to show piety - sky burial
Semi-Imperialized Nords/foreigners - graveyards and undercrofts
Nobles, famous warriors, kings, prestigious families- mummified in family barrows; compatriots and servants also may be placed inside
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby roerich » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 am

Those are great, I love the diversity! I have some additional notes and ideas for sky burial, which I'll post later.
Thane of Interiors

Postby french ninja » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm

As an aside, I did some research into sky burials. Apparently they were common in Tibet for a variety of reasons: hard ground from the cold weather, lack of trees in the tundra, etc.
Jarl of Lore for Skyrim: Home of the Nords

Postby roerich » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:43 am

Yes that makes sense. There is a very good (and macabre) photoshoot from one burial. I was thinking how instead of 1. Feeding your corpse to birds of prey or 2. Cremation and spreading the ash with the wind, Kyne-worshippers would choose death by hypothermia. When they approach their last days (or choose that now is the time), they would journey with a group of guides to a holy tower on some mountain, clad in enough furs to keep them alive during the journey. When they get to the tower, they would be approached and taken by the Fryse Hags, and go through some rites and kiss the earth for one last time, before they walk to the top of the structure, lay down as the Fryse Hags removes the furs and clothing. Here, Kyne will breathe life out of them with her icy winds, just as she was the one to breathe life in them. What would happen then with the corpses, I don't know. Maybe they will be returned to a barrow (thus the dakhma/whatever is just a practical thing, and not a final resting place), or they could be interred in the dakhma, or they could just keep lying on the roof, where there'd be a lot of bones and freshly frozen corpses. Give me some input please.
Thane of Interiors

Postby Lord Berandas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:32 pm

I like this idea, personally I think the corpses should be buried in tombs some time after the ritual. Perhaps there could be a rumor amog non-nords, that spirits of the dead are becoming Ice Wraiths that haunts around these places.

Postby Luxray » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:43 pm

That is rather a neat idea Berandas. Such weird things as the ice wraiths would surely have some cool rumours about them like that. :)
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby Luxray » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Found more evidence for Nordic sky burials in the text "The Five Songs of King Wulfharth" --

"...He grew older than the Greybeards, and died. The flames of his pyre were said to have reached the hearth of Kyne itself."

> implying he was burned when he died, rather than being stuffed in a barrow. (I don't know much about the whole wulfharth thing, but potential for flavour dialogue around these sacred areas relating to him, maybe)
Omnia In Nihil wrote:The colouring of rugs is always a complicated issue, as you have to find a balance between individual creativity and lore-friendliness.

Postby roerich » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 am

Luxray wrote:Found more evidence for Nordic sky burials in the text "The Five Songs of King Wulfharth" --

"...He grew older than the Greybeards, and died. The flames of his pyre were said to have reached the hearth of Kyne itself."

> implying he was burned when he died, rather than being stuffed in a barrow. (I don't know much about the whole wulfharth thing, but potential for flavour dialogue around these sacred areas relating to him, maybe)

Great find, Luxray. I think it's good we have some diversity as well, with both barrows and funeral pyres.
Thane of Interiors

Postby Luxray » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:27 am

Sky_bk_V_SongAskeldeMen is another cool story about a group of Nordic warriors burning their fallen companions.

Cremation has a lot of evidence in these texts! This part in particular though:

Your spirit went unto and filled their heart
You sped them to glory, Hail Spirit Wulfharth

Then oil from urns fed greedy flames
burning what few my legion and I slayed

That Wulfharth again :) I guess being blasted to ash gets you a place at these sorts of ceremonies.

Postby roerich » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm

A Sky Execution is a form of capital punishment in Skyrim in which the criminal is stripped naked, tied to a pillar, and left to die of to exposure from the elements. This practice is typically conducted on a mountaintop where the winds are powerful, the snow is biting, and the sun is unbearable. Those who oversee the execution are priests of Kyne and magistrates of the Suleyksejunthur, or Jarl of the hold.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/147922 ... ead/page-2
Thane of Interiors

Return to Lore